This episode was previously recorded for “Mormon Sex Info” and is being refurbished here on “Mormon Mental Health Podcast.”
Host Lisa Butterworth interviews Kersti Spjut and discuss the Family Acceptance Project. They discuss facts of LDS Parents of LGBTQ youth.
- The Family Acceptance Project (familyproject.sfsu.edu) – the absolute best resource. Start here! They have a video and pamphlet specifically for LDS families.
- Mormons Building Bridges (mormonsbuildingbridges.org) -have a couple good info pages with links to articles and a glossary of terms.
- Listen, Learn, & Love (listenlearnandlove.org/podcasts)-Richard Ostler’s podcast, about the experiences of LGBTQ members of the Church
- PFLAG.org has lots of good resources
- The Trevor Project (thetrevorproject.org) has good resources specifically for addressing suicidality.
Books for parents:
The Transgender Teen by Stephanie Brill & Lisa Kenney
The Transgender Child by Stephanie Brill & Rachel Papper
Raising the Transgender Child by Michele Angello & Alisa Bowman
This is a Book for Parents of Gay Kids by Dannielle Owens-Reid
Unconditional by Telaina Eriksen
To help keep Mormon Mental Health going past 2021, please donate at mormonmentalhealth.org
Lisa Butterworth, LPC, NCC has a masters degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Idaho State University. Lisa specializes in women’s issues, faith transitions, sexual concerns, LGBT+ journeys, trauma, anxiety disorders, body image concerns, and depression. She offers both coaching/consultation and therapy services to individuals, couples and families. Lisa is also the founder of the popular Feminist Mormon Housewives website and support group.